The Department of Information Technology (renaming the Department of Computer & Information Technology from June, 2012) under the Faculty of Technology, GU has been established to facilitate state of the art infrastructure for different Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research programmes in the field of Computer and Information Technologies.
The main vision of the department is to enable the bright minds of the region to pursue and establish themselves as prominent technology enthusiasts. The department always thrives to empower the students with the skills and knowledge required to survive in the ever changing and challenging IT industry.
As the current trend has seen huge demand in the IT industry, Computer Science and Information Technology have been widely accepted disciplines in the students fraternity across the globe. The rising demands of the trained and skilled personals in those fields have been motivating and inspiring the students to undertake different programmes of studies. Looking at the need of local students, different programmes have been started meeting demands at different levels of studies. The Postgraduate and Research programmes are designed to build the capacity of the region in terms of human resource and local intellectual and technological resources.
The vision of the Department of Information Technology, Gauhati University is to establish a structured seat of learning for inclusive, adaptive, and futuristic and need oriented studies and research in the domain specific as well as interdisciplinary areas of Information Technology. To achieve the vision, the department is engaged in creating and nurturing an ecosystem for systematic study of Information Technology, with embedded learning of science, humanities and skills, thereby promoting a generation of worthy human and knowledge resources.
1. To impart different programmes of studies at UG, PG and research levels, with contemporary and uptodate curriculum, fulfilling the need of a vast pool of local aspiring students.
2. To facilitate hands on training facilities through formal schedule as well as open and unrestricted environment for acquiring and enhancing knowledge and skills on competent technologies.
3. To adopt regular evaluations of the curriculum and the course content, and to take measures for required revisions for implantations.
4. To create opportunities for add-on knowledge and skills, for enhancing competencies of students, through regular activities of academic and industry interaction.
5. To encourage solution and industry oriented semester long projects, for creating a pool of employable human resources on completion of their programmes.
6. To encourage output oriented research on region specific problems and requirements, as well as contemporary and state-of-the-art universal problems, including interdisciplinary areas.