Start-Up and Incubation Activities
A Cell by the name Start-up, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Cell was established at GUIST during October, 2017 with Prof. Kandarpa Kumar Sarma as the Coordinator. The composition of the cell is as below:
The Start-up Cell has been upgraded to Gauhati University Technology Incubation Centre (GU TIC) vide a notification by the Registrar, Gauhati University on 27 August, 2018.
The Start-up Cell was certified by the Innovation Cell, MHRD, Govt of India and AICTE to have established an Institute Innovation Council as per the prescribed norms.
For further details :
The following activities took place during the subsequent period.
- Organization of a Day Long Entrepreneurship Development Programme in ICT enabled domains has been organized on 27 February, 2018 under MHRD-TEQIP III programme. It highlighted various issues related to start-ups, entrepreneurship and job-creation. About 150 students, research scholars, faculty members etc took part. Some of the dignitaries who took part are
- K.K. Singh-Founder and Chairman, International Youth Committee, President , World Youth General Assembly
- Dr. Tirupati Panigrahi, Chairman, Research and Development Centre Hi-Tech Medical College and Hospital HealthPark, Rasulgarh, Bhubaneswar
- Hasina Kharbhih, Ashoka Fellow and Aspen ILI Fellow, Founder and Managing Director of Impluse Social Enterprises and Founder Chair of Board of Impulse NGO Network
- Riddhinil Roy, Founder, NE8xTM,
- Hironmoy Gogoi, Founder and Creative Head, Goan Ka Khana| Connecting your Desires.. Blackhorse Marketing and Hironmoy Motivations, Entrepreneur, Motivational Speaker
- Dhruba Jyoti Kakati, Innovator and scientist, Founder and CEO at KrixomNET, Founder and presenter at Haritkona TV, Former Top 100 young leader award 2017 at Indian Youth Forum.
- Prof. Bhaskarjyoti Bora, Department of Commerce, Gauhati University,
- Rohit Saikia, Abhinov Gogoi, Dipak Gogoi,
- Founder, Ethnoshopping.
- Design completion as part of National Science Day Celebration on 28 Feb., 2019 among all students of the GUIST, University and nearby Institutes. Twenty teams participated. The event was inaugurated by the hon’able Vice Chancellor, Gauhati University Dr. Mridul Hazarika.
- Design completion of electronics systems among students of BTech ECE on 15 June, 2018. About 40 students took part.
- UTKRANTI 1.0 which is a hackathon event was organized to develop a mindset of competitive design among the students of GUIST. This was organized as part of TEQIP III on 15 September, 2018 at GUIST. The event was inaugurated by the hon’able Vice Chancellor, Gauhati University Dr. Mridul Hazarika. About 120 students of GUIST took part in this day and night programme.
- UDBHAV a robotic design completion was held on 2nd October, 2018. The inaugural event was graced by the hon’able Vice Chancellor, Gauhati University Dr. Mridul Hazarika.
- UTKRANTI 1.1 organized during 10-11 Nov., 2018 at GUIST Building under MHRD-TEQIP III as a follow-up to the earlier event. This event hosted by the Start-Up and Innovation Cell, GUIST is was organized as part of a twining arrangement with NIT Silchar. Students from NIT Silchar, Dibrugarh University, Assam Engineering College, Assam Science and Technology University, GUIST etc took part.
Success of Start-Up Company and Participation at Start-Up Event by ex-GUST Students (2019)
A start-up company by the name M/s Olatus Systems Pvt Limited, Guwahati (http://www.olatussystems.com/) formed by two ex-Deptt of ECE, GUIST students (MTech 2014-16) have launched a product by the name S-Guard has received widespread attention. It is a GSM based Spy Security Device for Home, Office, Car, Wardrobe etc. The product lunch event took place on 20 December, 2018 at Guwahati Press Club. The event received extensive coverage by local media.
In line with the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s Startup India’s vision, Startup India Assam Yatra has been organised by Startup India Team in collaboration with Assam Government. The event culminated with its grand finale on 5th February 2019. Around 80-120 good ideas were shortlisted from across the state who then attended a 1 day acceleration program. Finally, these shortlisted ideas were pitched at the Grand Finale on 05th February for incubation offers and incentives by resource partners. A Bootcamp was held at Gauhati University on 21 January, 2019 from 9.30 am onwards at the PD Hall. Around 50 students including several from BTech and MTech programmes took part. Akarshan Sethi from Start-Up India Yatra and Kangkan Jyoti Khargaria from Start-Up Assam took part